ME in MEdia

I’m still new at this. My adventures after I ‘Awaken the Dragon‘ now leave me very visible and present in social media spaces.  I need to carefully examine where that leaves ME. I’m not sure how my media creations look and sound in digital spaces. Am I being too loud? Do I talk too much? Who’s seeing me or even listening? Who am I in digital spaces? Is my ego showing? Who is the ME that is evident in my Media?  The message others take from my MEdia should reflect who I am. Do others see ME in my writing? Is this rather shy, farm girl from rural Ontario evident in what I write? Do my Dutch roots show when words spread into media spaces?

I was humbled this week by the many connections and comments that came my way from people whom I respect as leaders in connected digital spaces.

• @HumanMOOC sent a link to a ‘call for book chapters’ relating to humanizing online learning to see if I was interested in writing on this topic.Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 9.23.48 AM

Throughout this week, I continued to read and connect through social MEdia and reflected on ME in digital spaces. After reading Sherri Spelic’s blog post On the Other Side of a Twitter Tizzy and Maha Bali’s blog post Ego, Self-Promotion & Empowering Minority Voice, my ego and sense of self needed to be checked and reviewed. Where is ‘ME’ in my MEdia. Am I in it for the ego-boost or, as Lee Skallerup Bessette states in Shameless Self-Promotion, “shameless self-promotion isn’t about just you; it’s about being better because of the people you’ve reached”? More reflection and self-checking results in renewed focus.

It’s not about ME in this MEdia. It’s about becoming a better human, teacher, person because I’m making a difference through sharing my MEdia with others. So that’s where I’ll leave it for now.

Where do you find your ME in your MEdia? What does your MEdia say about you?

Quote | This entry was posted in Talking, Together and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to ME in MEdia

1. Ken Bauer says:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here on digital presence and about ME in Media. Excellent thoughts and directly related to what I was (trying) to get across to faculty yesterday on campus. I left some quick notes yesterday at the link below but am about to include a link to one of your blog posts (“Awaken the Dragon” I think fits best) as a resource for my colleagues struggling with why they should blog or what they should blog about.

Cheers!

• HJ.DeWaard says:

Ken. It’s great to connect with you here and on Twitter. Your comment is appreciated and I’m glad it connected to what you are doing with faculty. It still amazes me that my ‘voice’ can be heard in global spaces and that my message resonates with what others are thinking. Hope the dragon metaphor helps your colleagues to become visible. Thanks for the link! 🙂 Helen

2. Sue Dunlop says:

Your post really got me thinking, especially after I read some of the linked posts. The loudest voices in social media seem to be white males and people seem to defer to them. That’s an echo of our daily reality. Keep your voice loud! Why not?

• HJ.DeWaard says:

Sue, thanks for the response. I enjoy reading and following your voice, so I’ll echo back across the digital space to you “Keep your voice loud!” Let’s see where others will echo back. 🙂 Helen

3. CogDog says:

I like how you are framing this question, and perhaps suggesting a semi formal periodic self check. For how you are perceived in the digital space (“too loud” “not serious” “too Dutch”) there is the part you control/own vs the part you can’t — how people listen and form their own opinions.

My approach is paying attention how other people sounds to me as some what of a yard stick. Therefore, I follow (a few) people who come across to me as raging egomaniacs and ones I disagree with– it helps me check sometimes … ‘Am I sounding like X?” I do not obsess over numbers, reach, metrics.

The ego thing is tricky. I’d be lying if I said it does not matter when people retweet or mention me publicly. It feels good. We all seek validation and can start questioning when we do not get it. So there is nothing dysfunctional about warming to praise. What does matter is what we do about it; hence I never go about retweeting my mentions or promoting the book I have not written. I think I am not being egotistical, but I may even miss when something I say might come off to some people as being so. Again, there’s what I control and what I cannot.

The thing is we talk about “identity” like it’s a singular entity, it evolves in time and in different context. We sit inside of ourselves and pretty much have a solid idea of who we are, but how that appears in the world varies quite a bit.

A video I tweeted recent includes some undergraduate students talking about online identity, and the first one (with cracking knuckles) describes hers rather profoundly as something like an iris that opens and closes depending on the context we are in; much the same our outward “us” shifts from being with personal friends to being with office colleagues to being with strangers in the street in New York City.

It’s not that we are multi-personalities, and all are some faceted presentation of who we are. Online, some of us take a bit more cynical or critical personas, to be able to express what we often do not say in person, but that is more like an exaggeration of us rather than a different us.

My “ME” is trying to be humorous (often failing), playful (sometimes teasing people I know because they have heard it before), and supportive towards others (because it feels food to get that in return). The difficult part of this can be feeling like you are not heard, especially on entry into what feels like a party you are crashing. ME needs to be listening as much or more than speaking.

Thanks for letting me write a blog post in your comments 😉

• HJ.DeWaard says:

Alan, I am honoured that you have ‘blogged’ here. Thanks for your thoughtful response.
      This adds so much ME in Media and to notions of perspective and control. You connect some very real ‘dots’ with the videos. The student perspectives add to this digital conversation. The multiple personalities we take on in different digital spaces mirrors what we do in our physical spaces. But in these digital spaces, I also wonder about the unreal or fictitious personae that individuals can create (aka gaming or Second Life). Your response reminds me that digital spaces can be complicated to navigate and a challenge for students who are struggling with a sense of self. You are welcome to blog here anytime 🙂 Helen

4. Pingback: What’s Your Story? | Five Flames 4 Learning